Welcome to Burden Park Bowling Club Web Site
Arial View of Burden Park Bowling Club
Corner Springvale Road and Heatherton Roads, Springvale
Burden Park Bowling Club is situated in beautiful Burden Park on the South-East corner of Springvale and Heatherton Roads Springvale South,a suburb of Melbourne in Victoria Australia,approx 30 klm South East of Melbourne.The club has three superb grass greens(one is floodlit for night bowls) Two greens are drought tolerant grass making all year round games possible,something unthinkable fifty years ago when the club was formed. There is an excellent club house with ample parking off an entrance from Heatherton Road and can comfortably seat 200 people with a fully licensed bar,large kitchen and an outdoor barbeque available for corporate days and social events.
Do yourself a favour and check out the hospitality of Burden Park soon,you won't be sorry!
Winter Bowls at Burden Park
Winter bowls has started at Burden Park Bowling Club and we welcome players from all clubs.Come and play 2 bowl triples on one of Melbournes best greens.Games are played every Wednesday and Saturday(weather permitting)starting at 11AM,tea and coffee supplied,BYO lunch.The bar is generally open.To put your name down please phone the club on 9546 8851 or call in to the club any afternoon after 4PM.
CONGRATULATIONS to the Burden Park Division 1 and Division 5 bowling teams who made the 2016 Finals. This is a GREAT achievement for a small club with only sufficient numbers to field 4 pennant sides.
The Division 1 team went down in the semi-finals on Saturday to MCC after putting up a valiant battle. When you consider that MCC is a wealthy bowling club with many more bowlers this is a FANTASTIC achievement. Well done guys and gals!
The Division 5 team had a GREAT win over Pakenham on Saturday in the semi-final but were unable to backup Sunday in the Final, going down to Mulgrave Country Club by 21 shots. Once again, when you consider that Mulgrave Country Club is a wealthy club with 10 pennant sides this is also a GREAT achievement. Well done guys and gals!
THANK YOU to all members and their families who came to MCC, Burden Park or Mount Waverley to support the teams – your support is very much appreciated.
Congratulations to the Tuesday night pennant team who won through to the NIGHT FINALS but were a little unlucky to go down in the semi final by 2 shots off the last bowl of the night.
Burden Park is a great club made up of GREAT people who support each other. Every one does their best, sometimes that may not be good enough but we need to remember that not everyone can win all the time. It is by tasting defeat that makes you hungrier for success in the future!
Let us not underestimate or undermine the great club culture that we enjoy. Yes there are whinges but hopefully, we voice our concerns and then get on with whatever it is we need to do to build our great club.
THANK YOU to:
• everyone who supported our Spud Night and the turning on of the lights – it was a fun night, especially the bowling challenges. Without your support these nights would not be as successful as they are.
BIRTHDAY WISHES to our ‘birthday girls’ – Margaret Cummings, Bernie Kennedy, Sheryl Anson and Wilma Bellfield. It was great that you could celebrate your birthdays with us. BIRTHDAY GREETINGS also to Shirley Smith whom I believe also shares a birthday around this time but unfortunately was unable to be with us on the night.
• TINA MANGONI who organised the ‘spuds’ and that awesome bolognaise sauce ( a family Italian recipe) which was sooooooo delicious. Tina runs a tight ship in the kitchen and we all jump to attention when she speaks!
• WENDY O’DONNELL who made 3 wonderful hot cross bun desserts – you are a gem (just not a ruby!)
• RUSSELL LAWTON who helped with setting up and, with brother, PETER, and DAVID THOMAS organised the fun bowling activities
• BAR STAFF who kept everyone well watered: LOVEY, PETER AND WAYNE. If I have missed anyone I apologise!
• EVERYONE who assisted in the kitchen, before, during and after the meal. I am not going to name people as I did not write all the names down and I do not want to forget anyone. You know who you are, your support is greatly appreciated.
• EVERYONE ELSE who contributed in any way to the success of the evening. THANK YOU!
MANY HANDS DO MAKE LIGHT WORK AT BURDEN PARK!
BUT WE CAN ALWAYS DO WITH A FEW MORE!
CONGRATULATIONS to the Bowls Committee on the organisation of the Good Friday Pairs competition. It was very well supported by members from Burden Park and other clubs. The weather was kind to us. This was the first time I have participated in such an event and I certainly enjoyed the camaraderie that we shared on the day. It’s lucky Raelene and I didn’t take ourselves too seriously as it’s back to the practice greens for us!!!!!!!
Our next event is the Bowls AGM and Presentation Evening on Friday, 22nd April. Please put your name down on the board. This is a catered event and we need numbers to cover costs! Also remember to consider nominating for a position to support the club.
THANK YOU to the 18 members who have returned their Social Committee questionnaires. This is important as it helps inform how the Social Committee moves forward:
• Social Committee questionnaire to me OR in the box on the bar.
• Volunteer survey to Ken Freestone (If you need to put it in the box, it will get to Ken)